Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Taking a TESOL Course at Home vs. Abroad

Often, I am asked which is better... To take a teacher training program in my native home country where it is usually less expensive as opposed to taking the course in the country where I ultimately want to work. The answer is simple.

No matter which country you prefer or which provider appeals to you and no matter whether its TESOL, CELTA or Trinity, always, always take the course in the country where you would like to work. I'll explain why... Lets focus on Europe for a moment seeing as there are more challenges to find employment;

Europe is a region where many teachers would like to work and travel therefore there is a decent amount of competition for jobs. This means that you would definitely need a certificate. This is best done in the country where you want to start as there are many of advantages.

1. You can get acclimated gradually in the country/culture while you still have a support system (training centres usually provide services such as airport pickup, arrange housing during the course, and provide local orientation).

2. You can be sure your certificate will be recognized by local employers and the training centre can give you invaluable contacts and advice regarding reputable local
employers as well as those who pay the best.

3. A standard certificate for Europe is 120 hours on-site, including at least 6 hours of supervised practice teaching on real students (not peer trainees). Online programs aren't well-accepted by reputable employers.

4. Your "teacher practice" will be composed of native/local students which will be representative of those you’ll be working with when you start your job.

5. Finally, jobs in Europe aren't normally found from abroad. You really need to be here with a cell phone and C.V.s in person to get interviews. There are rarely if ever exceptions to this.

No comments: